Wednesday, December 13, 2006

tut tut, feels like rain

Driving to work today I thought, "Gee, what an ugly day." And then I thought, "This is what it's like in Seattle every day." Which took me down a line of thought. Here in Baltimore, we have multiple seasons with mulitiple weather patterns. The weather is a good general topic of discussion when you don't really have anything to say. If you're in a city where the weather is pretty much a constant, what do you small talk about? Do you have another equivalent to talking about the weather? (How bout those Mariners?) Or do you still talk about the weather? (Nice day out, only a slight drizzle.) Besides Seattle, I see this problem in San Diego. Do they say, "What a horrible day, look at those 5 clouds in the sky!" Is weather talk relative to the geographic location?

1 comment:

Allison said...

I bet weather talk is universal, though with different topics within the topic. For instance, in colorado most of our weather talk is about snow. In Florida, my grandparents always talk about what % chance of rain it is for a given day. I think people just find a way to modify the universal small talk topic to fit the locale.

Followers